POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) : Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:12:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 12 Mar 2000 12:08:15
Message: <chrishuff_99-58A21C.12100512032000@news.povray.org>
In article <8EF5AE4F2seed7@204.213.191.228>, ing### [at] homenl (ingo)
wrote:

> Will it make it possible for a Java (or Perl) program to interact with a
> scene during parsing? Kind of a macro being executed outside POV and its
> result being used in the scene again (without writing/reading a file).
>
> #binding {
>   perl,            //language
>   "GrowTree.pl"    //file
>   Age              //Data needed by GrowTree.pl
>   Shadowside
>   Oak
> }

I think the obvious security problems with this would keep it from being
included in the official version.

> >The resulting Java program would, if compiled and run, create a standard
> >POV-Script plugin which could be included into any POV-Scene, and which
> >would contain any macro and object created in the Java-Script.
>
> This sounds more like a program that can output a POV-file but not
> interact with POV.

My idea is a program that in it's most basic form would take an input
CSDL file and some parameters, and output a POV file(or several POV
files). It could be extended for each platform to allow it to interact
directly with POV, for example, having a GUI editor with a render
command which automatically translates and renders a scene. But the
basic version would be written in ANSI/ISO C++ and would be directly
portable to any platform with a compiler for that language.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom