POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) : Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 12 Mar 2000 12:00:42
Message: <chrishuff_99-469EB2.12023212032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38CBC8F6.8B481E2A@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> A thought... Some of these files query the user for parameters during
> the program run time. If added to Pov it sure would reduce the number
> of predeclared variables needed in the scene.

Are you talking about some kind of "query_user()" function that would
pop up a dialog or a console input for the person rendering the file to
enter values? Something like:
#declare Name = query_user("Please enter your name: ");

I don't think that would be a good idea. What if it pops up after 15
minutes of parsing, and you left the computer going over the weekend
expecting to have an animation finished when you got back? You would get
back to your computer, only to discover it has been waiting for you to
enter a value for the whole weekend.

Besides, it could be a real pain to set those for every single little
test render.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom