POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : variable refraction : Re: variable refraction Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:09:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: variable refraction
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Jan 2000 16:42:37
Message: <chrishuff_99-437136.16431727012000@news.povray.org>
In article <3890E367.572DF8C2@mindspring.com>, ric### [at] geocitiescom
wrote:

> I was modeling a glass bottle I keep on my desk a few days ago and
> realized that there was one aspect of it that I have been unable to
> produce in POV:  the different densities of the glass.  Hopefully you
> will know what I am talking about.  The bottle that I have is not of
> consistent thickness, so the refraction is not uniform.  Short of
> modeling the thing out of blobs, does anyone know how to simulate the
> different densities of the glass?  Or possibly add a feaure that will
> add ior_map abilities or something like that -- kinda like a color map
> only with ior values if there isn't already a way to do this.  Thanks.

The cause of the waviness isn't different ior's to the glass, it is the
varying thickness(which is different from the density). Try using a
normal on the glass, something like a squashed bozo will make a ripply
effect:
normal {bozo 0.1 scale < 1, 0.15, 1>}
POV currently does not have a way to calculate variable refraction,
since that would require sampling the ray in several steps through the
object or tracing curved rays. Someone might write a patch to do this
someday, but none currently exist. And it would be the wrong solution to
this problem anyway.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom