POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HeightFields and differences, clipping etc. : Re: HeightFields and differences, clipping etc. Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HeightFields and differences, clipping etc.
From: Chris Huff
Date: 4 Jan 2000 18:17:37
Message: <chrishuff_99-3E3849.18174204012000@news.povray.org>
In article <38727c28@news.povray.org>, "Patrick Dugan"
<pat### [at] usticom> wrote:

> Although I have declared the "RedSheetHole" to be a DIFFERENCE between
> the heightfield and the torus, the end result is a union rather than
> difference.  I am confused since the syntax I have used "seems" correct
> to me.  Please advise...

If you use:
object {RedSheetHole scale 2 rotate y*250}
you will see that the "union" of the torus and the height field is
actually the depression left in the heightfield from the torus. If you
want a hole to be in this area instead, give the torus a clear texture
so it is invisible. Or you could use this instead:
#declare RedSheet =
object {
   height_field {
      png "plasma2.png"
      hierarchy off
      pigment {Red}
      translate <-0.5, -0.5, -0.5>
   }
   rotate <90,0,180>
   scale <1, 1, 0.005>
   clipped_by {
      torus {0.24, 0.14 inverse rotate x * 90}
   }
}

--
Chris Huff