POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) : Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Mar 2000 16:43:54
Message: <chrishuff_99-37A3C9.16454613032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38CD5D57.247F8422@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

>  One thing I am slightly confused about is if you are using a complicated
> scene description language to make a new scene and then convert it to
> POV-Ray won't you still be limited to what POV-Ray can actually do
> proceeduraly ?
>
>  If POV-Ray can already do it proceeduraly why not do it in native Pov
> in the first place ?

POV can do these things(or fake them), but to do them while restricted
to the POV syntax would take a long time and be nearly impossible to
read and understand. You could write a scene in C-SDL and then convert
to POV, but you probably wouldn't want to read the POV file, while the
C-SDL code would be much simpler and easier to read/write. For
programmers, at least. :-)

Another thing that could be done instead of or in combination with is
doing most of the parsing work in the converter and outputing a bunch of
POV objects. This would be especially useful for tree/particle system
generators. The POV file would parse much faster than the equivalent
generator written in POV-Script. Of course, this couldn't be done for
most includes...

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom