POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The slow part : Re: The slow part Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The slow part
From: Chris Huff
Date: 26 Feb 2000 10:21:49
Message: <chrishuff_99-35E4BA.10231426022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38b7e1ea@news.povray.org>, "Bill DeWitt"
<the### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> > Or that your media container and the isosurface are occupying the same
> > region of space?
>
>     Right, I have an isosurface which is sitting on top of and projecting
> down into a media container.

What does that mean, "projecting down into"?
Do you have a light source on the opposite side of the isosurface, so
it's shadow falls on the media?

> > Does it occur with the media turned off?
>
>     No.

Ok, it is probably due to the many times a ray has to be shot at the
isosurface from the media to compute where the shadow is. But you said
it only happens in the area where the isosurface overlaps with the media
container...have you tried other objects which tend to be slow, like
julia_fractal? Is the isosurface transparent? If so, is it hollow?

> > What trace level is it going up to(this should be in the rendering
> > statistics)?
>
>     Trace level? Under trace there is a "Quality" listing that says "9"...

No, the the maximum level to which POV traced. The max_trace_level
keyword sets the upper limit to this, and the maximum level actually
computed is in the rendering statistics. If there is some total internal
reflection, that might be using a very large number and eating up
processor time, but I don't think that is the problem.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom