POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : 3D Pattern ? : Re: 3D Pattern ? Server Time
20 May 2024 00:35:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Pattern ?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 24 Apr 2000 11:25:14
Message: <chrishuff_99-293B67.10281124042000@news.povray.org>
In article <390### [at] bigfootde>, Hendrik Iben
<Hen### [at] bigfootde> wrote:

> Hi, It might be better to give an example of what I want to do : I
> want to visualize interference in 3d space by altering the
> color/refraction of an object in space. Another nice pattern would be
> the simulation of smoke and things like that. So I do not need the
> position of the object(center) but just the position the raytracer is
> at. I do not know if this will look  good but I would like to see
> it... There must be some sort of interface for things like this in
> pov-ray since the bozo pattern does a simlar thing. I can't believe
> that theses patterns are just built in...

They *are* built in, look in the source file named "pattern.c". To do
what you want, you might be able to combine several textures using
layers, pigment_map, or texture_map. If you want to define your own
pattern with an equation, you have to either add a new pattern to the
source code and recompile, or use MegaPOV. MegaPOV allows you to define
a function to use as the pattern:
pigment {function {noise3d(x,y,z)*sin(sqrt(sqr(x)+sqr(z))}
    color_map {...}
}
And you can #declare functions:
#declare Source = function {sin(sqrt(sqr(x)+sqr(y)+sqr(z))}

pigment {function {(Source(x,y,z)+Source(x-5,y,z)+Source(x+4,y,z-3))/3}
    color_map {...}
}

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/