POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Background Images? : Re: Background Images? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:29:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Background Images?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 7 Jan 2000 15:53:48
Message: <chrishuff_99-209397.15535807012000@news.povray.org>
In article <387624A9.770C0A88@ida.utb.hb.se>, Mikael Carneholm
<sa9### [at] idautbhbse> wrote:

> I've thought of this, too. Should fit in the background statement, if
> background could take a pigment statement, like this:
>
> background{
>   pigment{
>     image_map{
>       ..
>     }
>   }
> }

That isn't possible with the background statement, because rays aren't
always shot from the camera. Where on the image_map or pigment would you
sample for a refracted or reflected ray?

The sky_sphere feature is basically this feature(a pigment for the
background) with that problem solved by using the direction of the ray
to sample the pigment as if a sphere with that pigment surrounded the
origin of that ray. At least, that is how I understand it.

Having an image follow the camera might be useful, but it shouldn't be
mixed up with the background statement. And it might be better solved
with a macro. I think there are already macros that do this.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom