POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Chris Huff
Date: 14 Mar 2000 17:08:25
Message: <chrishuff_99-0C07FB.17101414032000@news.povray.org>
In article <D5TNOASIAvcmq=v7ZHjaH6KAifJl@4ax.com>, Glen Berry
<7no### [at] ezwvcom> wrote:

> >Still, my first point was a platform specific editor feature is no
> >substitute for a language feature.
>
> Whos said anything about a platform-specific editor?

Bob Hughes. He mentioned that auto-completion would be a "nifty feature"
in the Codemax editor, which as far as I know is Windows only. My point
is that auto-completion is an editor-dependant feature, and thus
platform dependant, and so it is a bad substitute for a language
feature.(which would be completely platform independant)

> There must be something I am overlooking here. Aren't programs that
> deal with ASCII text some of the most easily portable programs? Why
> does a POV scene editor ( not a modeler, mind you ) have to rely on a
> lot of platform specific coding? I'm sure someone will be quick to
> remind me of the reason I seem to have forgotten.

Just because a program handles ASCII files doesn't mean it doesn't have
a platform-specific interface. Writing for the Mac GUI is quite
different from writing for the Windows GUI. The only way to get
something consistant and which wouldn't have to be rewritten every time
would be to use Java, which some people wouldn't like.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom