POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HeightFields and differences, clipping etc. : Re: HeightFields and differences, clipping etc. Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HeightFields and differences, clipping etc.
From: Chris Huff
Date: 4 Jan 2000 21:22:09
Message: <chrishuff_99-0B6D7F.21221504012000@news.povray.org>
In article <3872a859@news.povray.org>, "Patrick Dugan"
<pat### [at] netinsnet> wrote:

> But WHY is there a torus depression?  The torus should carve out ONLY
> where
> the intersection of the height field and torus intersect, not have an
> "extra" area showing outside of the heightfield.  While a "clear" pigment
> works it is still not behaving the way a standard solid object would.

I am not sure what you mean. It behaves in exactly the same way a
standard object does. A difference operation leaves the surface of the
differencing object on the object being differenced.
Don't get confused by the fact that you can see under the top surface of
the height field, the object is there, there just aren't any surfaces
around that portion of it. The lower boundaries are set by a cube, while
the upper boundary is the surface of the height field. This can be seen
clearly if you fill a height field with media.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom