POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Smooth transitions between CSGs ...Chris Colefax? : Re: Smooth transitions between CSGs ...Chris Colefax? Server Time
29 Jun 2024 02:14:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth transitions between CSGs ...Chris Colefax?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 20 Apr 2000 07:53:47
Message: <chrishuff_99-0AF1F5.06563720042000@news.povray.org>
In article <38fe4f71@news.povray.org>, "Chris Colefax"
<chr### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> Finally, I believe Chris Huff has done some work along these lines, using
> isosurfaces.  His messages should still be accessible on the server, as
> should he...

Hmm, I haven't done anything directly related to this...but my proximity
pattern could do the job easily. I wouldn't use it directly, it is too
slow, but it would be simple to use it with eval_pattern() to write data
into an array or a file(preferably a file, so you don't have to
recalculate it every time you parse the file) and use that as the input
for an isosurface.

Another possibility would be to use the blob pattern. It currently only
supports spheres and cylinders, but could easily be extended to do
toruses, cones, boxes, etc...even isosurface functions could be
included. It doesn't require the 3D density stage, it is fast enough
as-is(although there are some optimizations that could be done). I got a
nice "corroded metal" look by using turbulence on the blob pattern in an
isosurface.

And finally, you could use Lummox JR's isoblob patch, which is kind of a
cross between isosurfaces and blobs. I haven't done anything with it,
but it looks quite good.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/