POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reflected Illumination? : Re: Reflected Illumination? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflected Illumination?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Mar 2002 15:22:07
Message: <chrishuff-FCB738.15221202032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c80f917$1@news.povray.org>, "Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
wrote:

> Yes it's possible. But it will slow down rendering, depending on how
> accurate you want the light to reflect. In some cases it's awfully slow, but
> usually not. The feature is called radiosity. This causes all objects to
> reflect light, and not just the mirror. But you can adjust how many times
> the light will reflect (once might be just enough).

Radiosity is not what he wants. Radiosity simulates diffuse reflection,
like light bouncing off a lampshade or white walls. You might get
something vaguely like caustics with effort, but that's not what the
algorithm is designed for, so it won't be very efficient.

> MegaPOV and Pov3.5beta also have a feature called "photons" that makes
> caustics on specific objects. It's not the same as radiosity. It's only for
> glassy objects. I don't have much luck or experience with photons, but other
> people have. Maybe they'll post here too.

Photons work on any reflective or refracting object, not just glassy
ones, and are specifically designed for the situation he has in mind.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/