POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Film exposure simulation patch : Re: Film exposure simulation patch Server Time
5 Jul 2024 13:29:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Film exposure simulation patch
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 13 Nov 2002 09:51:02
Message: <chrishuff-FBAE45.09503513112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dd24eef$1@news.povray.org>,
 Michael Andrews <m.c### [at] readingacuk> wrote:

> On the other hand I seem to remember reading that because of the
> interconnections locally in the retina the brain tends to process
> something like hue-saturation-intensity rather than RGB ... whether this
> has any bearing on the matter I'm not sure.

That may be so, but the pupil and individual rods and cones are the main
causes of brightness adaptation and other nonlinear response. If you can
produce a response using a smaller brightness range that the brain would
get from a brighter light source, the image will look brighter. Part of
why the sun in sunset images seems brighter than a white sheet of paper.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/