POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface troble : Re: Isosurface troble Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:11:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface troble
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 6 Aug 2002 20:01:11
Message: <chrishuff-FA70F0.18510906082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d503959@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Of course this raises the question why do you want to use an isosurface
> to create a heightfield at all?
>   The only thing I can think of is that you want to use non-linear
> transformations on the heightfield. Creating a mesh instead of an isosurface
> will lead to enormously faster render times, and you can move the vertex
> points at will, which simulates non-linear transformations.

Less memory, no trouble with faceting or other triangle problems.

>   I think there are macros in the official distribution for this (I don't
> remember if they allow transformations, but if they don't, you can make
> your own version of the macro with vertex transformations).

There are height field generator macros, they don't really have any
advantage over the height_field primitive except that there are
cylinderical and spherical versions available. (and I like the smoothing
better)
You still have the "no overhangs" restriction, for example. However, the
code is there, so you could modify it to do whatever you want.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/