POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Snowflakes study (267Kb) : Re: Snowflakes study (267Kb) Server Time
6 Jul 2024 19:06:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snowflakes study (267Kb)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Nov 2002 14:34:26
Message: <chrishuff-F8FC37.14260104112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3DC### [at] ibrasdk>, Ib Rasmussen <ib### [at] ibrasdk>
wrote:

> Perhaps. According to my Oxford dictionary, snowflakes is the
> collections of snow crystals, in which snow falls, i.e. several crystals
> bunched together.

Well, when the snow is damp, the "flakes" do bunch together. The flakes
aren't a random assortment of individual crystals, though, each flake is
a crystal. A snowflake is a snow crystal in every definition I've seen
until now.

Here's a good site I just found, lots of interesting stuff:
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/
Hmm...one of the people who did stuff for that site was a Patricia
Rasmussen. A relative? Anyway, they seem to use your definition...I
don't know why they call a flake a crystal and a clump of flakes a flake.

> I was thinking more af being hit by large icy ninja stars :)

Well, they are only a couple millimeters across, so that isn't much of a
problem. They do hurt when it's windy and cold, though.

You don't get snow where you are?

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/