POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : looking for antialiasing critical scenes : Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looking for antialiasing critical scenes
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 6 Mar 2002 11:34:49
Message: <chrishuff-F8727A.11345306032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c863416$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Apache" <apa### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> What focal blur work with animation? I haven't checked the povray source
> code, but maybe it doesn't "remember" what rays it casted during the
> tracing. If would put the exact data about what rays it's casted in a
> buffer-like thing, with that buffer it should be possible to do
> antialiasing. Same thing with animations. Saving that buffer to disk and
> reusing it for the next frame should be able to prevent any jittering.

This can't be done, because not only would it require a huge amount of
memory, focal blur is adaptive. Since the scene being blurred changes,
the blur samples need to change as well. You could just remove the
adaptive capability, but that would be very slow. It should be possible
to generate a list of random jitter vectors and use those for all pixels
in every frame...the number of samples might vary, but most of the
samples will be the same. This would give smoother results, actually,
since the samples won't vary as much from pixel to pixel, though it
might produce visible artifacts.
For now, you are pretty much stuck with using high enough settings that
the grainyness isn't a problem.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/