POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : anti-aliasing : Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 13 Feb 2002 14:14:59
Message: <chrishuff-F5EFE2.14144513022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c6ab2c5@news.povray.org>,
 "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> Won't work well:  Remember that the ray is infinitely thin, so you will have
> some spacing between rays.  Of course, you can make the sampling so small that
> is scratches floating-point precision, but I doubt this would really improve
> quality.

The point of using an X pattern would be to make it more likely to find
a thin object while using fewer samples. I know it wouldn't be perfect,
but it might work faster than sampling in a grid.

> What can be done with every object with a known surface is to find a few
> points on the surface and then start sampling from there (so doing AA with
> superpixels first).  It would work for all objects with a single surface or a
> number of parts/surfaces assuming you can supply one point for each of them.

So, if a pixel hit an object but an adjacent one didn't, supersample the
surrounding ones to make sure they didn't hit it, and supersample
outwards until you run out of pixels that hit the object?

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/