POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Non-linear transforms : Re: Non-linear transforms Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:05:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Non-linear transforms
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Aug 2000 12:09:14
Message: <chrishuff-F2970F.11102213082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39966CA6.84396041@club-internet.fr>, Francois Dispot
<woz### [at] club-internetfr> wrote:

> I have already thought about this for meshes and it should be fast to
> get the distance from a point to a mesh. Knowing whether it is inside or
> not is a different problem...

Actually, that one has already been solved in MegaPOV, all that is left
is the proximity calculation.

> > I don't understand what you mean...
>
> If you apply a texture to the above object, you will do so after its
> shape is transformed. Thus it is not transformed. If you want to bend a
> wooden object, you need to bend the wood pigment the same way you bend
> the shape. Here it has not been done (well, the plain white pigment is
> quite versatile ;-)

Yeah, I understood the problem, but I didn't understand your solution to
it. You said:
> "Material" questions could certainly be solved the same way to get
> the texture follow the object transformation.
But I don't see how they could be solved in the same, or any similar
way, unless you transformed the function by converting it to a pigment
and warping it(so you could just warp the texture in the same way).

Some of what has been called displacement is just modifying the
function...for example, adding noise3d() to the radius of a sphere. This
isn't a displacement, that would be modifying the coordinates given to
the sphere function, like multiplying the coordinates given to the
sphere function by noise3d(), and isn't always as easy to control.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/