POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making this Christmas ornament look more real : Re: Making this Christmas ornament look more real Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making this Christmas ornament look more real
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Dec 2002 16:50:22
Message: <chrishuff-F0FAF4.16472304122002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <MPG.18583ccc7da89136989683@news.povray.org>,
 Graphic Designer <doc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> How would I give the ornament stronger highlights? It's been a while
> since I've worked with Pov, and I don't remember all the Finish
> settings.

Hmm, you already have specular at a reasonable value, try toning down
metallic. IIRC, metallic takes a float parameter, try 0.5. These bulbs
are usually glass with a metallic inner layer, some of the highlight
comes from the glass. As someone else mentioned, variable reflection
might improve it as well, but you'll need 3.5.

Also, drop ambient to 0 and put a dim light source at the camera
position. It will illuminate anything directly visible from the camera,
but will still have shading for surfaces at a steep angle to the camera,
avoiding the "flat lighting" of ambient. The easiest way is to use:

default {finish {ambient 0}}

at the beginning of the scene and take out the ambient from the
textures. Then you can still use a high ambient for glowing objects.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/