POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : feature request (regarding &,|) : Re: feature request (regarding &,|) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: feature request (regarding &,|)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 Nov 2000 13:17:45
Message: <chrishuff-ED3435.13180318112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A15CA5E.DC4C415C@peak.edu.ee>, Margus Ramst
<mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote:

> Hmm. Are there many likely scenarios of this happening?

Not a lot, but I see no reason to add something that can cause such
confusion and would only have a slight benefit.

> Granted, a macro invoked in a conditional could #declare variables
> needed later in the code; but creating necessary variables like this
> is very bad form IMO, as is (generally) using #declare in a macro to
> set up global variables.

It might be bad form, but it is possible and is sometimes the easiest
way to do things. Remember that not all POV users are programmers who
care about good form...this would just be considered a nuisance by them.
And I think it is "bad form" for a language to do this type of thing,
because there is no indication of what is happening when it occurs. It
can be done manually, and can cause problems when done automatically.

Maybe if there was a warning when a macro call was skipped, or if it
only skipped things other than macro calls...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><