POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSDL: C-like Simulation Description Language : Re: CSDL alpha 1 release Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSDL alpha 1 release
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 Jan 2002 11:43:13
Message: <chrishuff-EC871F.11441223012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3C4EDD1C.848E9D11@gmx.de>,

> Ok, i have finally found some time to have a look, as autowitch mentioned
> it compiles with cygwin, even with -mno-cygwin/MinGW (in case you want to
> use a non open source license) For future versions a makefile would of
> course be useful.

Especially since it now uses GLUT...I'll get to work on one, but I have
very little experience in such things, beyond modifying them to compile.

> The samples all worked, starting Povray of course not, but that's just a
> small change in the 'povray.csdl' file.

Hmm? What changes were necessary? Is POV-Ray not named "povray" on your
system?
I'll eventually have the engine name be a variable, it was mainly
hard-coded because there are no string manipulation functions yet. The
same goes for the source file name.

> The indention of the Povray output could be improved, but you
> probably already noticed that.

In the current POV library, I've removed all indentation...it won't be
too hard to implement though, I just haven't done it because I haven't
decided on the best way to store the data.

> The syntax is pretty self explanatory although learning everything will
> probably take some time.  But it seems that writing malicious programs is
> quite easy so you should consider some security mechanism like Povray's
> IO-restrictions.

More dangerous is the system() function...I'll eventually add security
features to limit file I/O and turn that function off, though they will
probably be platform-specific extensions to the core code. I'm focusing
on getting the thing fully operational first...