POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mesh for icosahedron : Re: mesh for icosahedron Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh for icosahedron
From: Chris Huff
Date: 30 Dec 2000 16:07:37
Message: <chrishuff-EC044D.16090030122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a4e2a28@news.povray.org>, "Greg M. Johnson"
<"gregj;-)56590\""@aol.c;-)om> wrote:

> 1) Does anyone have code for making a mesh which is an icosahedron?

You might find something here:
http://www.swin.edu.au/astronomy/pbourke/

> 2) Does anyone have code for making a N-triangle approximation of a
> sphere (please don't code this just for me--does it already exist)?

Maybe you can find something useful in one of the discussions about
"evenly spaced points on a sphere" on these groups...

> 3) Say I'm going to put a few thousand spheres in a union, but then want
> to replace the spheres with meshes for memory's sake.  How many
> triangles (I assume it's several thousand) does it take to cause the
> same memory usage/parse time  as one sphere?

A single-triangle mesh will probably use more memory than a single
sphere, assuming texturing is the same. A copy of a mesh (of any size)
will probably use slightly less memory than a sphere, again with all
else equal.
For parse time, you will have to test it...but it would most likely be
less for a copy of a mesh than a sphere.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><