POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : color to grey : Re: color to grey Server Time
19 May 2024 05:45:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color to grey
From: Chris Huff
Date: 1 Apr 2001 10:24:44
Message: <chrishuff-E9AF27.09243401042001@news.povray.org>
In article <3ac73253@news.povray.org>, "Jan Walzer" <jan### [at] lzernet>
wrote:

> >     (0.297*Color.red + 0.589*Color.green + 0.114*Color.blue)
> > This uses the same equation that POV uses internally.
>
> Where does POV use a RGB2Grey computation do ?

MegaPOV has a GRAYSCALE() macro in colour.h. I think this replaces the
use of many separate equations, sometimes completely different ones, in
the official version.
MegaPOV uses it for image_pattern, pigment functions, and a few other
things. It may be used as an estimate of the brightness of the color in
some places.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><