POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OBJECT IDEA : Re: OBJECT IDEA Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:52:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OBJECT IDEA
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 17 Jul 2002 12:22:29
Message: <chrishuff-E7F67D.11171717072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d340ef3$1@news.povray.org>,
 "TinCanMan" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I don't think that simple primitives have the solution.  There must be some
> way of creating quadratic type surfaces without having a discrete mesh.
> Perhaps isosurfaces could be accomodated, but I would think that would come
> at great CPU expense.

Why try so hard to avoid using a triangle mesh? Any method you find will
probably be much more CPU hungry and have artifacts that are harder to
get rid of than faceting. The reason originally given for "curved smooth
triangles" was the dark artifact seen when the normal points away from
the camera, but there are other possible ways to fix that with flat
smooth triangles.
It seems like the best solution for curved triangles would be a cubic
surface tesselated into triangles, something like a triangular bezier
patch. It could even be tesselated on the fly to reduce memory
requirements.

Maybe subdivision surfaces would be a better solution.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/