POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : help with rotation, gimbal lock? quaternions? : Re: help with rotation, gimbal lock? quaternions? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: help with rotation, gimbal lock? quaternions?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 14 Mar 2002 09:40:54
Message: <chrishuff-E5217F.09403614032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <glb09ucfqm2gani7cmill9q035608e2rtg@4ax.com>,
 Peter Popov <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote:

> You know, I've never done it that way. Doesn't make much sense unless
> some tangents are involved. A normal is, after all, a vector. The only
> thing you might want to do is to normalize the result if you need a
> unit-length normal. So I don't get the transpose idea.

Try unevenly scaling a sphere. A vector from the center to a point on
the surface (the normal of an unscaled sphere) goes one way, but the
normal goes the opposite direction. And how about shearing a box? You
will end up slanting the normal of the sides which don't change
orientation.
I don't really understand the reason the transpose does what it does,
but it is needed. This was discussed in some of the old Ray Tracing News
articles.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/