POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlaping objects with different ior values : Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Jul 2002 13:45:24
Message: <chrishuff-E445B9.12381724072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d3edcb6@news.povray.org>, Micha Riser <mri### [at] gmxnet>
wrote:

> AFAIR the discussions about this problem the suggested why to do this is
> make the water overlap the glass. Because leaving a space between will
> cause multiple reflections. However I don't know if the overlaping is
> handled as wished in that case.

Which is exactly what I was talking about...

> It is in the nature of merges to overlap.Otherwise you could just as well
> use union. It is even more in the nature of intersection memebers to
> overlap ... otherwise you have a null object. So it would be natural to
> assume at parsing time that merge/intersection do overlap and always issue
> a warning when iors are different.

Ah, I see what you are saying now. That would apply to all non-unions, I
think. And maybe different amounts of transparency as well as differing
iors. And a "nowarn" flag to turn off the warnings for those cases where
it is intentional.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/