POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : spline settings to clock correspondence : Re: spline settings to clock correspondence Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: spline settings to clock correspondence
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Oct 2002 12:15:45
Message: <chrishuff-E38FD0.12121904102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d9c9e40$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Dennis Miller" <dhm### [at] attbicom> wrote:

> So will the spline respond to CL and move through the entire set of points?

If the T values for your points go from 0 to 1. The spline parameter
*is* the T value, if it is equal to one of the T values in the spline,
the return value will be the vector for that T value.

> In other words, does CL override the real clock settings? I'm just not clear
> on how the "ctr" parameter in the docs actually works.

No. It doesn't have anything to do with the clock settings. The macros
set the variable CL to a number in a certain range depending on the
clock value. The value of clock itself is unaffected, nothing is
overridden.
Splines have nothing to do with clock, values that depend on clock are
just often used for the spline parameter in animations. You seem to have
some confusion from the fact that the spline parameter indicating the
point on the spline is often called time.

It is really very simple:
Say you have a spline which has a T value of 0.2 at point A, and 0.7 at
point B, and no points in between. If you give the spline 0.2 as the
input parameter, you get point A, if you give 0.7, you get point B. If
you give 0.5, you get something in-between, what exactly you get depends
on the type of spline. The spline points are essentially "goal points",
they tell the spline "be here when the parameter reaches this value".
The start of the spline is the point with the lowest T value, the end is
the point with the highest. When the parameter is equal to the lowest
value, it will return the start, when it is the highest it will return
the end. If it is outside that range...well, that is probably a Bad
Thing, I don't recommend it. Nothing ever relies on a [0, 1] range, that
is simply a convention that is used when there isn't a good reason to
use a different range.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/