POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: new simple pattern : Re: Request: new simple pattern Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: new simple pattern
From: Chris Huff
Date: 16 Jan 2001 16:25:58
Message: <chrishuff-DFC0A4.16265916012001@news.povray.org>

<jer### [at] atosorigincom> wrote:

> <nitpick on>
> Would you extend this documentation requirement also to the 'official'
> texture definition? I would be interested to have the documentation
> for the wood/glass/stones includes files (of 3.1g!).
> (While you are at it, I'm also interested in the objects from
> shape*.inc ... and I guess that every include file may be of
> interest to at least someone, so that would make a lot of new
> pages)
> <nitpick off>

How much documentation do those require? They are just variable
declarations. You include the file, put the variable in your code, and
that's it...
Maybe the general use of the files should be described in the
documentation, but the demo scene files do a better job of documenting
them than a description of each individual texture and object would.
("T_Green_Glass: A green glass texture. T_Dark_Green_Glass: A darker
green glass texture. T_Blahblah_Glass: Another blahblah glass texture."
etc, etc....)

> <reality check>
> Assuming that 3.5 is ready now (I HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THAT, it's
> only an assumption for this rhetorical question), how much delay
> would be introduced by the complete documentation of the official
> include files ?
> One year or more, I guess...

If you are really pessimistic...I see no reason for writing and
documenting the macro set to take a whole year. Even if you include
documentation for the existing includes.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><