POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About THAT idea... : Re: About THAT idea... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About THAT idea...
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Sep 2002 21:26:21
Message: <chrishuff-DE5B39.21253612092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> > Environment mapping is a hack designed to simulate reflection for
> Pointless discusion if You do not want to comment this 3 arguments for
> env_map I gave, AFAIR at least 1 person agree it might be
> usefull/interesting.

There are things a lot more than 2 people are interested in.
It might be interesting to implement as a curiousity, for the laugh
factor of implementing environment mapping in a raytracer. I do not see
how it could be useful.

> by
>   ifstream f("c:/images/test.txt);
>   float r,g,b,id;
>   f>>r>>g>>b>>id;
> ?
> Put this in x*y loop, and convert into any format, or use in game as sprite
> with different i.e. hit regions.

That's C++. This is only useful to programmers, the average user won't
have any use for it and won't be interested, and programmers have access
to libraries for manipulating formats already supported by POV. Or they
could write one: a TGA reader/writer is extremely simple to implement,
and the files could be manipulated in any good graphics program. As I
said, you shouldn't expect tons of interest in such a special-case
feature.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/