POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blurred reflections : Re: Blurred reflections Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred reflections
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Jul 2002 15:11:17
Message: <chrishuff-DC157E.14085708072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d29bcf4$1@news.povray.org>, "Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
wrote:

> I'll try again then. I was only talking about the reflection tricks without
> Megapov. Lets say you average 5 normals, using the bump pattern scaled very
> big. Then you have 5 normals, but their directions are random..

Right. It has to be that way, otherwise you wouldn't get blur. The
problem is?

> Example: You apply the blur texture on a plane and put a white sphere above
> it, that is supposed to be reflected on the plane, and use a black
> background.. The result with 5 averaged normals is not 5 eqaul steps between
> black/white. Because the bump patterns have random values (psudo-random, to
> be precise).

That's why you need much more than 5 samples. The blur patch takes them
at complete random in the sampling area, so you get a "noisy" result
where the color of one pixel has little relation to the color of the
next. With the "average texture trick", the sample directions change
relatively slowly over space, so the contribution from a specific
direction is taken into account over an area of the surface, and you get
a "stepping" artifact instead of noise. The stepping effect is less
noticeable, so you can often get away with fewer samples...a similar
situation as with method 1 vs. method 2 or 3 media.

It doesn't look good with only a few samples because you need more
samples...there isn't really any way around that. It might be possible
to add a pretrace stage that precalculates the blurry reflection at
various points and then interpolates that data, similar to radiosity,
but that would be a major addition...and the existing blur patch doesn't
do that.

The existing blur patch looks awful with 5 samples, why are you
complaining about the number needed by the averaged texture technique?
The current blur patch is not any better!

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/