POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSG vs. Shape Modifiers : Re: CSG vs. Shape Modifiers Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG vs. Shape Modifiers
From: Chris Huff
Date: 20 Jan 2001 16:00:19
Message: <chrishuff-DB845F.16012520012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A69EE62.A287AF31@netvision.net.il>, Eitan Tal
<eit### [at] netvisionnetil> wrote:

> I am sorry, I won't do that again. I didn't know, please don't ban me!

Don't worry, if you were going to be banned, I wouldn't bother asking
you not to do it, would I? ;-)
Anyway, I read your messages in a web browser, and it looks like you are
miunderstanding bounded_by...the bounded_by feature is for optimization
only. POV-Ray checks to see if the bounding shape is visible, and then
checks for the object. The bounding shape doesn't even have to be around
the object, it just has to be in the line of sight from the camera
toward the object. If you make it smaller than the object, you can not
rely on pieces of the object being cut off. To repeat: bounded_by does
not cut pieces off of the object, it simply helps POV decide if the
object is visible.

And the clipped_by feature is very similar to the intersection object,
except it removes the surfaces instead of replacing them with the
surface of the clipping object. It should work in a CSG, sort
of...though it may not do what you expect. It is actually used fairly
rarely compared to the CSG objects.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><