POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OBJECT IDEA : Re: OBJECT IDEA Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:46:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OBJECT IDEA
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 10 Jul 2002 13:42:51
Message: <chrishuff-D5DCBC.12395910072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d2b4e76@news.povray.org>,
 "Majukatur" <maj### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Well, this is an idea that I had, is about the meshes, I was thinking, the
> smooth triangle have a simulated normal that seems to be smooth, but it

> smooth_triangle really smoothed?, if the syntax of the smooth_triangle is
> conserved we can use the new shape with old mesh objects without problem,
> but with better quality.

There have been a couple people working on macros to produce "curved"
smooth triangles. The only good way to do that seems to be to divide
each triangle into more triangles on a curved surface...trying to solve
directly for the surface would probably be too slow for a mesh with a
fair number of triangles. Their macros are probably in the scene file
groups on this server. You might also want to look for information on
subdivision surfaces.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/