POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Wallpaper/background : Re: Wallpaper/background Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wallpaper/background
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Nov 2002 22:04:33
Message: <chrishuff-D3859A.22025120112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ddc2f23$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Philippe Debar" <phd### [at] wanadoobe> wrote:

> That only prevents shadows on the object.
>
> If you want also to prevent shadows from the wallpaper onto the other
> objects, use no_shadow (it is not a finish thing like diffuse and ambient,
> but an object modifier).

Shadows could only be cast on something behind the object from the light
source's point of view. If the "background" is behind everything,
including light sources...
Making it shadowless would probably slightly speed shadow calculations
up though.

> (BTW, does anybody know of a way to use this kind of setting in a radiosity
> scene but to have no lighting from the image on the rest of the scene, as
> ambient 1 is bond to produce ?)

Some kind of no_radiosity flag might be useful, I don't know of any way
to do this now. Save radiosity data from a rendering without the object,
render with always_sample off with the object?
This really isn't a suitable technique for a background anyway, the only
use I can think of would be for modelling an object from a reference
image. Reflections and refractions just don't work with it. The best
alternative would be a sky_sphere.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/