POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Creating 3D models : Re: Creating 3D models Server Time
5 Aug 2024 12:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creating 3D models
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 14 Sep 2002 23:58:05
Message: <chrishuff-D2AB84.23570514092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3D83C18A.3307E2CA@wieringsoftware.nl>,
 Mike Wiering <mik### [at] wieringsoftwarenl> wrote:

> I love to work with povray, but now I want to create 3D models to be
> used in a game. All programs I've looked at so far are mouse-driven
> wysiwyg apps, I'ld prefer to be able to write these models as code (just
> like in povray). Does anyone know a program that does that?

Well, you could do it in POV, the built-in language is quite powerful.
Or you could do it with Java, just write a few classes to automate
generation of POV code or whatever format you want. Or you could do it
with one of many scripting languages...my Sapphire project would be good
for this because of the built-in vector support, it is very unfinished
though. C++ would be the most powerful, but the compile-link-run
sequence is annoying for rapid modify-test cycles, and it is a bit
overkill for this purpose if you don't already know it.

It wouldn't be much work to code up a simple translator that takes a
human-friendly input file and outputs some mesh format. A full language
with identifiers, functions, etc would be a lot more work, but still
possible. An interesting idea...a language designed entirely for
describing surfaces and shapes.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/