POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : distance pattern ? : Re: distance pattern ? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: distance pattern ?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 10 Jul 2002 14:06:20
Message: <chrishuff-CF8268.13032710072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d2c7309@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   You mean that, if successful, it will be possible to make objects glow?-)
> (And I mean faster than using media with the proximity pattern.)
>   That would be a pretty cool effect. :)

That is what I'm planning. It will be a "cheat", basically it would be
to emitting media + proximity what fog is to scattering media, but it
should be much faster, at least for most simple shapes. There will still
be "point glows"...probably a glow "object" which doesn't have a surface
but supports points, rings, lines, etc...

>   By the way, it will probably be worth the effort to optimize the proximity
> calculation for meshes. After all, meshes are so versatile and so common
> (specially when you import objects from other renderers to povray). The faster
> you can make the proximity pattern for a mesh, the better.

That's going to be the generalised glow solving method...the patch will
tesselate to a low-res mesh for glow calculations when an shape specific
method doesn't exist. That will be part of the proximity patch as well,
though I'm not going to completely abandon the ray sampling method.

Basically, I'll need to do:

1: a tesselation method for each object, using marching whatevers as
default and specialized algorithms for some objects,

2: a distance-from-point method, using #1 + mesh method if a specialized
method doesn't exist, and

3: a distance-from-line method, again using # 1 + mesh method if a
specialized method doesn't exist.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/