POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : range models : Re: range models Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:27:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: range models
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Apr 2002 15:04:03
Message: <chrishuff-CE8B7D.15051804042002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3cacae79$1@news.povray.org>, "ZSpider" <zsp### [at] gtenet>
wrote:

> the reason i'm asking is cuz i really liked the buddha and
> dragon they have, but i don't know if the zipped "range"
> files they have would fly in pov.

I'm guessing a "range scanner" is a device that determines the distance
to the surface of an object from a certain point or points, allowing it
to get points on the surface of the object...sort of like real-world
raytracing. The range image is like a depth buffer from a camera that
wraps around the scene.
It looks like these files are provided for people doing research in
surface reconstruction algorithms who don't have access to a scanner. In
other words, these are not models, but raw data to be used to generate
models. They would be fairly useless for POV.

Most of them have reconstructions available, these look like some kind
of mesh format, maybe VRML (the tool they used is called vrip). Some of
them have reconstructions in other formats...the Happy Buddha and Dragon
are in Inventor, VRML, and QSplat.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/