POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam : Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:12:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay, Lightflow, & the PovTeam
From: Chris Huff
Date: 6 Jul 2000 18:42:20
Message: <chrishuff-CD6310.17423206072000@news.povray.org>
In article <396### [at] nospamhotmailcom>,
hoo### [at] nospamhotmailcom wrote:

> Lightflow is only superior to PovRay in *certain areas* (those were my
> exact words), and I didn't mean to suggest that the Lightflow example
> images were the only proof of this.

It would help if you gave examples of which areas it is superior
in..."surface engine" isn't enough information.
Also, LightFlow seems to be limited to one platform, and was designed
from the start with a certain direction in mind. This is why some of
these features were possible.
POV, on the other hand, has to be cross-platform, and has an aging code
base which makes it very difficult to do some of these things(one reason
for the 4.0 C++ rewrite, which may make some of these things possible).

> >   Distributed rendering: This has been discussed before. It has several
> > problems.
>
> Of coarse it has several problems, but it's not impossible.  Anytime you
> download a file or fill out a registration form online, you are engaging
> in *cross-platform networking through a well-defined protocol*.  The
> well-defined protocol is key, but, imho, that would be the only
> stumbling block.

The protocol may be cross-platform, but the code to use it probably
isn't. That portion of the code would have to be rewritten for every
platform to be supported. Then you still have the problems of sharing
radiosity/photon data, error handling, etc.
So you see, it isn't as simple as finding the right protocol...

> Again, this was poor wording on my part.  I'm certain you know more
> about radiosity than I do, and I'm not being sarcastic.  However, is the
> PovRay radiosity view-independant?  Is it fast?  And, I personally think
> that tesselation might be the answer (it could at least be an option for
> the user, but I suppose 2 separate radiosity algorithms would be messy).

It is view dependant, and it is not too slow(with the MegaPOV fixes, of
course). And tesselation is not the answer. As has been explained many
times, there are some objects which just can't be reduced to polygons or
patches.

> >> PovRay *needs* an accessible api
> >   No, it doesn't. Why it should?
>
> Why should we be limited to using PovScript?  What if I want to use a
> more powerful scripting lang, such as Python, or even something
> proprietary?  With no api, I would have to write a translator, and
> having to parse a scene twice would really slow things down (for complex
> scenes).  Also, an api would be cleaner & faster for 3rd party
> front-ends/modellers.

Why shouldn't you be limited to POV-Script? It is the input format for
POV-Ray, and is designed for that purpose. It supports every single
feature in POV-Ray.
You are welcome to use those languages...all you have to do is have them
output POV-Script and render it with POV-Ray.
Also, an API has some of the same problems as distributed
rendering...you have to do it in a platform independant way. Add the
problems of support...all of these have been discussed before.
The POV Team has very good reasons for this portion of the license and
for not including this feature, it wasn't just an arbitrary choice.

> What problems (this must have been before I entered the PovRay scene).
> I'm sure these problems could be solved.

Basically, people get upset when they don't get what they feel is
promised, whether it is free or not, whether it was actually promised or
not. The same reason many companies refuse to give release dates and
definite feature lists. People got upset when a version of POV-Ray was
delayed past it's release date or didn't have a feature they wanted, and
some of them got quite irrational.
And these problems were solved...by not giving this type of information
out. Now there is the problem of people clamoring for more information.
:-)

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/