POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stars, sizes, and antialiasing. (Was: Re: Starfields...) : Re: Stars, sizes, and antialiasing. (Was: Re: Starfields...) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stars, sizes, and antialiasing. (Was: Re: Starfields...)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 28 Aug 2002 19:28:40
Message: <chrishuff-C826A0.19275628082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> How to implement it ? quite simple.

Oh, yes, very simple...why don't you explain how to project it onto all
the different camera types? Taking camera normals into account?

> 4. reverse-project it - find point more close to A, that projected on
> screen gives A'. i.e. P'=<101,245,380>

What is the point of this? What do you do with this reverse-projected
point? Treat it as an intersection? Or some kind of atmospheric effect,
like a glow?

> The intersection test of 'pixel' is same as sphere with radius==epsilon (or
> some tolerance value)

Why even bother? The chances of a ray hitting the sphere are vanishingly
slow, so might as well not intersect with it at all. It would just slow
things down.

I really don't see how this is a good idea. POV is a raytracer, and this
isn't a raytracing primitive. And why just pixels? Why not lines,
circles, polygons, etc...and what about antialiasing? If everything is
unantialiased, it won't be very useful.
It might make sense as a post-process filter working in image space,
since it is really 2D drawing on top of the image.

Really, the best thing I can think of would be:
Somehow tell POV to use a higher minimum antialiasing sampling on parts
of the image that hit a certain object (the sky object).
Use "super-bright" colors (with components > 1) for the stars, make the
stars about the size of a pixel.
Clip colors after doing the antialiasing filter, as some kind of flag or
render option if you prefer it that way.

The minimum supersampling makes it more likely a pixel gets hit, the
clipping change allows the star to contribute the proper amount to the
pixel.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/