POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : save hf pattern ? : Re: save hf pattern ? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: save hf pattern ?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 30 Sep 2002 15:59:04
Message: <chrishuff-C61799.15554630092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> Generaly I think that POV can be about 100-1000% (!) faster in some complex
> scenes when using some optimization tricks. I have some ideas, probably
> most of them are not so good, but maybe at lest few can be usefull.

I highly doubt it. Even more since you are the one saying so, judging
from the things you've said in the past.

> now when we i.e. give it to a friend, (OR - use it in some multi computers
> network addon) we must render first 4 scenes, correct pathes to output of
> them, and finaly run main secene.

You shouldn't have to correct the paths, just don't write scenes that
depend on the organization of a particular machine (a path should almost
always be a simple file name). Or just use function images as they are.

> In my idea there is no need to even set save_file or load_file - all is
> "auto-magic" ;)

That won't work. The user would have to delete the file every time they
changed something.

> at first pass - on "new" computer (or after deleting of temorary data)
> computer will take pattern formula and strip it from whitespaces/comments,
> to get "ID" of this pattern "x+y+z*sin(x*10)"

Not possible, the function could easily depend on things you couldn't
detect this way, and different functions could result in the same
"signature" (not very likely, but possible). The best you could get that
way is "the function might not have changed".

> + render time is not about 10:00 but about 0:10

Render time is not affected at all. Total time including parse might go
from 10 minutes to 9 minutes 30 seconds.

> + we can give .pov to any user without explaining him how to prepare all
>   HF's, or without sending him ~30 MB data.

You don't have to now. This would shave a couple minutes rendering and
the time to read "render these first" once if they have to render
external files, or a few seconds per render if they use function images.

> + we can run .pov %100 automaticly

No improvement. You could automate it now, in fact several scenes do
this already, using the animation feature. Or you could use a (platform
dependant) shell script. There are lots of other possibilities, you are
trying to solve a non-problem.

> + HF's will be recalculated only if needed

Saving a tiny amount of time. A solution without a problem.

> + users HDD space will not wasted by outdated cache files

But it will.

> - We have to write a patch.
>
> What are other disadvantages ?

You have taken a simple idea for an unnecessary feature and bloated it
into an extremely complex, unpredictable, unportable, wasteful mess.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/