POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : gamma correction on flatscreen monitors : Re: gamma correction on flatscreen monitors Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gamma correction on flatscreen monitors
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Nov 2002 19:53:19
Message: <chrishuff-C59C24.19444005112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dc84fa9@news.povray.org>,
 "Frans Verbaas" <not### [at] freelernl> wrote:

> I assume there is a different procedure for flatscreens, or it may be
> obsolete entirely, the monitor doing its own gamma correction. If so, what
> 'assumed gamma' should I use for this combination, or should I skip the
> assumed gamma line entirely?

LCDs don't have the same kind of gamma curve as CRTs, as I recall the
curve of LCD screens is more of an S shape. I don't know what settings
are the best, it would depend on the particular screen. I wouldn't be
too surprised if it did the compensation in the monitor, with a result
like it had a perfectly linear gamma.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/