POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to Categorise functions? : Re: How to Categorise functions? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to Categorise functions?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 20 Dec 2000 12:06:16
Message: <chrishuff-C3D04E.12072320122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a4075f6@news.povray.org>, "Rick [Kitty5]"
<ric### [at] kitty5com> wrote:

> you have gone to complex! - I was hoping for a simple list :) -

I did give a list, categorize them by intended purpose: pattern,
component of other functions, isosurface.

> I have not done anything with ISO surfaces and the like - period, if
> it can be made understandable to me, then anybody should be able to
> use the library

Ok...functions are useful for more than just isosurfaces. You can also
use them as patterns and as pieces of other functions.

> the intention is not just to provide a list of formulas, but include
> a rendered image, sample source, and any other notes that the
> functions author feels the need to share (and anything any others
> have to say as well), its a question of how I can break a long list
> of items down into easily find-able sections

Category: Patterns(functions intended to be used as patterns)
        The Patterns category requires the function itself, a simple
description, and a preview image.

    Sub-categories:
    Noise patterns(anything that is similar to granite/bozo/wrinkles)
    Wood patterns
    Geometric patterns
    Other patterns

Category: Building blocks(functions intended to be used as parts of
other functions)
        Requires the function itself, and a description. May have a
preview image.
    Sub-categories: none

Category: Isosurfaces
        Entries in this category require the function, sign, and
threshold value used, a description, and a preview image. Information on
max_gradient and contained_by would also be useful. In fact, everything
other than the texture and interior would be useful.

Category: Parametric surfaces
        Objects done with the parametric object. Requires a description
and image, as well as the object minus texture and interior, like the
Isosurfaces category.

You may also want isosurface and parametric categories in an object
library, because you can make many interesting objects by combining
isosurfaces and textures.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><