POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : save hf pattern ? : Re: save hf pattern ? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: save hf pattern ?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 30 Sep 2002 22:38:44
Message: <chrishuff-C26114.22353430092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> but for realy-complex HF's againt it would be a big part of total
> parse+render time.

For most images, it is a tiny percentage of total time.

> > Right, see above. Your numbers still support me.
>
> (parse + render times with and without caching)
> write new HF formula -       15 + 5   15 + 5
> change HF formula            15 + 5   15 + 5
> change other things in scene  1 + 5   15 + 5

Great, you saved a whopping 14 seconds! Out of renders that can easily
go several hours! The numbers still support my argument.
Guess what: I don't care. Most people don't care. The only case where it
makes any significant difference is in an animation, and it is so easy
to just render a height field image for those cases that there is no
reason to bother with this addition.

> 3. sin(x)*3.0+0.1+y+z+rand(777)            // constants - ready

Bzzt. Wrong answer. Aside from the fact that you have tokens, not a
string, the rand() function takes a stream ID, you would need to grab
the state of the random stream as well, because it could change because
of previous rand() calls or a different value given to seed().
Similar for a function which uses f_noise3d() or *any* pattern based on
noise or using turbulence, you would have to take the global noise
generator into account as well as per-pattern generators, possibly
including any parameters for it. I'm sure there are even more that I
haven't thought of. It would basically depend on all the rest of the
code, it'd be a real headache to keep up to date.

> now show me formula that will result in _differnet_ pattern and that will
> give _same_ hash as "sin(x)*3.0+0.1+y+z+rand(777)">

Show me a hash that is guaranteed to give a unique result for every
different input. You would pretty much have to store the entire data you
would use as input to a hash.

> >> cache system is a problem for YOU ?
> >> Ok, I'll write it (in few days, focal-blur path first :)
> > Haha, go ahead.
> ok. but if I do - You will help me to nicely merge it POV code, right ?

Nope. Not a chance.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/