POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature requests iden() : Re: Feature requests iden() Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature requests iden()
From: Chris Huff
Date: 1 Dec 2000 18:06:18
Message: <chrishuff-C239D1.18065401122000@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] fwicom>, ron### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> Yes, but then it couldn't be used for the sort of iden() tricks this whole
> thing started with, nor for the sparse or dynamic arrays others have asked
> for.

Like I said: "it would be a little more limited". Probably not worth it.
However, it should do a pretty good imitation of sparse/dynamic arrays
if used in combination with a iden() function/macro, and be fairly
simple to implement.

> I prefer the [] notation to the () notation,

So do I, now that I have thought about it more.

> but I wish there were a third alternative besides {}, because either
> [] or () is going to require the person reading the code to find the
> declaration to know what's going on.

Will it? There isn't a lot of difference between a key and an index, at
least not to most people...it will be pretty well understood that
Array[Var] will retrieve element Var of array Array, whether Array is an
associative array or an ordinary array and whether Var is a scalar,
string, vector...
If someone uses Array["ParticleSpeed"], it is pretty obvious it is an
associative array, if they use Array[5] there is an ambiguity, but it
usually won't matter.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><