POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Version 0.1 of my Ray Tracer released : Re: Version 0.1 of my Ray Tracer released Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Version 0.1 of my Ray Tracer released
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 25 Oct 2002 09:43:59
Message: <chrishuff-BF6127.09371925102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3db919e9@news.povray.org>,
 "Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> I have also made a raytracer - in Java of all things! (Well, the original
> was made with Smalltalk - but who else actually has that?)

You mean your original raytracer? Because "the original" raytracer was a
piece of twine. ;-)

If you mean your original, it sounds interesting...I've always been
interested in Smalltalk. I know of another raytracer written in
Objective C, which is basically a halfway point between Smalltalk and C.

> Again, the only
> way to make it render things is to write [miles of] Java code to generate
> the appropreate datastructures. I suspect my little effort isn't nearly as
> full-featured as yours - but then, I had to reinvent raytracing from first
> principles! Considering I've never had a propper algebra lesson in my entire
> life, I'm pretty dam impressed I got the ray/shape intersection tests to
> work at all!!! (Actually, waaaaay back I tried emailling one of the POV-Team
> members about the math, but never got an answer. Hardly suprising - they
> probably get daft emails like this every second wednesday...)

Try a post on one of these newsgroups, maybe advanced-users.

> PS. Isn't building a raytracer with OOP so confusing? Which kind of "object"
> are you talking about... ;-)

Do what I did for my tracer: physical things are "shapes", objects are
bundles of information/behavior. Gets rid of the ambiguity nice and
neatly.

> PPS. If I were God, POV_Ray's SDL would be object-oriented (in the
> programming sense).

It already comes close in some ways. I think it could be made into a
prototype-based OO language with little modification.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/