POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what is a spline : Re: what is a spline Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:55:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what is a spline
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 18 Feb 2002 11:43:30
Message: <chrishuff-BD85E1.11431418022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <82f17usvq6kkpubonvcoq3gbfk9seosh58@4ax.com>,
 W?odzimierz ABX Skiba <abx### [at] babilonorg> wrote:

> useless (but not o-t) philosophical question in free time during rendering:
>
> What is a spline ?
> Is it an object (becouse of shape)?
> Is it a data type (becouse appear in declarations)?
> Is it a data structure (becouse store points at entries)?
> Is it a programing structure (becouse it is way of declaring function)?
> Is it new alone category ?

A function. You give it an input, you get an output based on that input.
It isn't a shape, it doesn't have a surface, the closest thing is that
it returns spatially related values. It is a data type in the same way
that textures and objects are data types, but that's nothing unusual in
POV...anything that can be declared is a data type. It uses a data
structure, but it isn't used as one, it isn't intended to store and
retrieve data like arrays (though I guess you could use it to store
points if you keep track of the t values).

For the other person: "programmability" is not a requirement for a
function, only providing a result from a set of parameters. You can't
reprogram the sin(), cos(), or vlength(), but they are still functions.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/