POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scattering media on a white background? : Re: Scattering media on a white background? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scattering media on a white background?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 11 Nov 2002 16:12:38
Message: <chrishuff-BA7A56.16122311112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dd008d5$1@news.povray.org>, "Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom>
wrote:

> The effect of light being filtered by the continent model is perfect on a
> black background, but I have not been able to make the scattering visible on
> a white background. I am trying to make a quick picture for a holiday card,
> so I'm looking for any help with getting this project over as quickly as
> possible.

The beams are visible because they are brighter, right? Just use a
dimmer background then. You can't get whiter than white. I'm not sure
what you want white beams on a white background to look like...kind of
like a polar bear in a snowstorm. If the beams are colored...well, you
still have them being added to a 100% white background. Absorbing or
extinction will make the beams visible by blocking the background...not
white any more. The dynamic range patches floating around recently might
be able to do what you want, otherwise you will have to post process the
image.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/