POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 4.00 question : Re: Possible POV Object Scheme (was Re: Pov 4.00 question) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible POV Object Scheme (was Re: Pov 4.00 question)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 1 Feb 2002 16:05:14
Message: <chrishuff-B924FE.16062801022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c5a45f6@news.povray.org>,
 "Ben Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> Of course, the more I think about it, the sillier I feel for not using
> multiple inheritance - a simple tree like that wouldn't give you everything
> you need :)

Multiple inheritance is not needed...many languages don't have it, but
use other mechanisms.
Anyway, you're missing a branch:
object
    solid
    patch
    aggregate (CSG objects...not necessarily solid. Meshes are still
patch objects.)

Things like global_settings, the camera, light sources, etc. would need
modification to fit in this heirarchy, of course...that's if you want
that. "object" could have the meaning of a language object instead of a
shape.

object
    global_settings
    transformable_object
        texture, ...
        camera
        light_source
        shape
            solid, patch, aggregate...

Many of these would never be seen by the user, they would only exist to
help categorize things.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/