POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About a (maybe) cool idea with blobs and splines... : Re: About a (maybe) cool idea with blobs and splines... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:15:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About a (maybe) cool idea with blobs and splines...
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Sep 2002 09:53:56
Message: <chrishuff-B779A4.09532105092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3d76a4c1fac2eacda1b60c80@news.povray.org>,
 "Christian" <las### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Well, I thought that there might be a new implementation: to somehow
> instruct what blob may blend with other blob... like if it would repulse it
> or just ignore its field of action... (Again, I'm peruvian, my english
> might be not very understandanle... so sorry if I don't use proper terms)

Problem is, blobs just don't work that way. They are isosurfaces of the
sum of all the components in a blob...there would be ambiguities in
trying to figure out which blobs should affect a point. (blobs don't use
the isosurface solving algorithm, they use a more specialized algorithm
instead, but I don't think that helps any)

For maximum flexibility, you need some kind of surface-based shape, like
a mesh, spline patch, subdivision surface, etc...with these, the surface
can fold against itself, or even go through itself, which is just
impossible with a single blob.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/