POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ISO optimization : Re: ISO optimization Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ISO optimization
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Aug 2002 13:00:53
Message: <chrishuff-B76317.11504605082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> slow down ? no, why ? maybe in some rare cases. Idea is to use voxelfield,
> maybe optimized into set of boxes, in some examples it will work perfect,
> please wait just a minut, I will post a full example

Yes, slow down. Computing a value from a voxel field is obviously slower
than using an existing variable. It would have to be computed for each
end of each interval, instead of just using the same variable and value
for all intervals. It would not be extremely slow, but it would slow
down functions which don't need the "gradient map", so you would
definitely want an option to turn it off and use a constant max gradient
value.

"optimized into set of boxes"...what do you think voxels are?

And the memory...assume 32 bit floats are used instead of 64 bit
doubles, for compactness. A 128*128*128 field would have 2,097,152
voxels of 4 bytes each...8 megabytes for the gradient map for that
isosurface. You could reduce precision further, but converting it into a
float or double value for the calculations will add more overhead.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/