POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 4.00 question : Re: Pov 4.00 question Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov 4.00 question
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 30 Jan 2002 17:28:01
Message: <chrishuff-B6B569.17291330012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <586### [at] 3-enet>, Daniel Matthews <dan### [at] 3-enet>
wrote:

> There is nothing to stop the embedding of an existing OO language ( like
> Ruby ) into the POV GUI with POV libraries or bindings to some form of POV
> API. This meta scripting language could drive the GUI and external
> utilities as well as be embedded into the POV SDL files.

Well, there is one thing: licensing. The current POV license is pretty
restrictive (though for very good reasons).
Of course, you could just write a library in that other language that
generates a scene and calls POV. That should be perfectly legal, as long
as you don't hide the fact that your program/library is a separate piece
of software using POV-Ray. That's what I am doing for the CSDL POV-Ray
scene library, and I think Moray does it.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/